25.7.15

RETURN OF THE DILETTANTE

In the year since I last posted, there has been a veritable landslide of demand for my return (at least 3 people and a dog at last count), so I promise, there will be a new post soon---very soon.
"Will the Dilettante ever return?  He'd better bring me a treat when he does"
For those who wonder, I have been kept from writing by life's caprices, as well as other challenges and commitments---as here, where I am seen as auctioneer's assistant at a charity auction last weekend (Vanna White wasn't available).

The event in question was a fundraiser for the 200th anniversary of the Holt House, the beautiful Federal house that is now home of the local Historical Society.  The portrait I am holding is of an ancestress of the auctioneer, and came with a joke whose punchline was "And my grandmother would then alway point at that picture and say "isn't she a handsome woman".

I know there's another joke here....but I'll leave it up to the reader.

"Isn't she a handsome woman"
Inspecting the wares.  I bought the very chic chair at the left.  Never met a chair I didn't like.
This Victorian sofa, rather a fine example of its type, but in a style rarely popular in today's trend-driven markets is still available; proceeds for a good cause.
The Holt House, a grace note in the center of our village for 200 years.









19 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH YAY!!!! I meant to yell!!!

Barbara said...

Oh YAY! Seconded!

Anonymous said...

I'd been wondering if you'd ever return. Very glad to see you back.

Linda said...

I join them masses in celebrating your imminent return.

TJDasen1 said...

"Isn't she a handsome woman"

With a great pair of gams if I might say so.

Welcome home.

Ross said...

Welcome back! Whoee!!!!!!!!

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Welcome back — long tome, no see!

rjp said...

Welcome back, you HAVE been missed!

Pigtown*Design said...

Brilliant news on a dreary Monday morning!

Unknown said...

Well, I must say, it certainly took you long enough! And now that you have posted, will we be made to wait another year for the next? I do love your blog, though. Welcome back! ;)

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Look at those gams! so glad you're back :-)

RPS said...

"O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

Anonymous said...

I love RPS's comment! It almost sounds like "Piglatin"! But it is a secret language!?!
Is anyone old enough to remember "Piglatin???"
I LOVE IT!

Welcome back! Enough comments to know how much we have missed you?

I am afraid blogs are waning...It makes me really sad!

Woodside Park said...

I toured the Holt House last summer - what a gem! Beautifully appointed. My family is visiting in August, and I look forward to taking them there. And also to Woodlawn in Ellsworth. Can't wait for the antiques show.

ALAN said...

great i was asking for you at a talk at the pembroke histerical society
fellow *name lost in my aged fog of a mind) was from mount desert hist soc
glad you are back

Donna said...

So excited! I have been checking in regularly looking for a word, an image, HOPE, and now I am hopeful!

Anonymous said...

The portrait has very good legs! :-)

Nancy said...

Glad you're back, Downeast Dilettante! I've enjoyed your posts on Ogden Codman, Charles Bulfinch....etc. your auction post made me miss the summer auctions I've been to in Maine....

I've been researching the life and times of Joseph Barrell, the flamboyant owner of Pleasant Hill, Charles Bulfinch's first country estate commission...

Looking forward to future posts!

Clipping Path said...


Simply wish to say the frankness in your article is surprising.Thanks for sharing.