8.3.10

Elsie de Wolfe Says.....


"Plain walls are the refuge of the artistically destitute"

And apparently she's in good company.  

I found this ad a few minutes ago in Building Age for November 1927---as you can see, I try to stay current with trends---and I love Lady Mendl's aesthetic pronouncement, whether I agree or not.


And there's that wallpaper again:  Zuber's Decor Chinois, a huge favorite of the 1920's.  I did a post about it a few weeks back, and it showed up again in a 1920's home theater posted here on 'The Peak of Chic' last week

P.S. In case you are wondering, I don't agree.

7 comments:

Dandy said...

I'm with Elsie on this one.

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

I second that

Raina Cox said...

I'm going to have to stitch that on a pillow.

home before dark said...

Interesting conundrum. When there is wonderful light and views and the walls themselves are art such as Rose Tarlow's, I would agree with you. For most of us, that level of perfection is a wee bit hard to come by. So delightful to have you cruising the halls of history to bring us these bits of informative nuggets! You are the decor equivalent to the slow food movement. And I say that with great admiration.

Lucindaville said...

Follies followed by Elsie! You just want to be may favorite blogger!

Janet said...

When it rains, it pours...just when you thought you couldn't find that paper, it turns up everywhere.

I need plain walls to think! It takes me forever to commit to even hanging anything on a freshly painted wall. Though, I do love seeing paper in other people's homes.

The Down East Dilettante said...

Dandy & Little Augury--no pale terra cotta washed Tuscan walls for you? I go both ways.

Raina, too funny!

Home Before: Thank you, you make me blush. At the rate I'm going, I should be up to mid-century modern before I'm 89.

Lucinda, you've uncovered my evil plan

Janet, absolute agreement.